Cheeseburger outside-in!!! With Boursin cheese, shiitake mushrooms, red peppers and bacon
Hubby and I have been great enthusiasms of the home grilled burger for ever since we bought our house, with a garden, with a barbecue… But really nothing fancy, just grilling a store-bought patty. Just the pleasure of piling whatever the hell you want in it, is great amusement, as oppose to buying that delicious looking quarter pounder in a fast food, only to realized that it’s so flat compared to the advertised picture, that right before you take that 1st bit, you are already telling yourself: why am I here, eating this unappetizing thing, and knowing, that I am going to deal with stomach cramps for the next 2 hours?
Our home grilled burger never give us the cramps and are way more satisfying, probably due to not having a preview luring picture to nag you in the 1st place! From the grill to the mouth!!!
So they were store brought. Yes, lack of time, courage, laziness. Maybe I mentioned this already, I love home-made food, but admit it, for he past 5 years (since my 1st pregnancy) I just didn’t cook as much. Now that the food revolution is taking over my kitchen, burgers were on the top of the list! Home made burgers! But not just any burger, an outside in cheeseburger! Not with a Kraft slice of rubber in the inside, but Boursin and cheddar! And not with just tomatoes and lettuce, but grilled red peppers, shiitake and bacon!!!!
It was amazing! What I learn from eating them: they are on the heavy side, be hungry! If you are not starving, you might want to omit the shiitake mushrooms, never thought they could be so filling, no wonder it’s a go to ingredient for vegetarians. At the same time, it would be a shame, it’s so good all together! Oh, and did I mentioned that Chipotle Tabasco is my new favourite seasoning? I put that thing on everything!!!
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the burgers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- few drops of chipotle Tabasco
- salt, pepper
- 6 tbsp of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp of Boursin cheese
- 2 strips of cooked bacon
For the toppings
- shiitake mushrooms
- Red peppers
- Real Dijon mustard (Maille brand)
- Chipotle Tabasco
- Mix together the beef, raw egg, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper with your hands, until all well blended. Separate into 4 balls. Flatten those slightly.
- Blend together the 2 cheeses and the chopped cooked bacon, and form 4 cheese balls. Flatten them to form little patties.
- Open the beef patties on one side with a knife, and insert the cheese patties. Close the beef all around the cheese, making sure the cheese is tightly sealed in the beef. Flatten as best as possible, knowing that the patties will shrink when cooking.
- The toppings are optional, and up to your taste. If you decide to use the ones here:
- Cook the bacon strips in a pan or on the grill, aside with the burgers. You can cook also the shiitake mushrooms on the grill, after coating them lightly with olive oil, 3 min each side. You can also place your red peppers on the grill, until the skin turns black. Then scratch off the skins and cut in slices.
- If you don’t have room on your grill, I would suggest starting with the peppers and bacon, then the burgers (about 4 min on each side) along with the mushrooms.
- While those are cooking, prepare your chipotle mayonnaise by just mixing some mayonnaise with some chipotle Tabasco to your taste. It’s a great dip for sweet potatoes fries, which I served the burgers with!
- Grill slightly your buns, open side down, on the grill, and stack everything up, coating the inside of the buns with chipotle mayo and Dijon mustard. Serve with fries.
For the easy to print, save and share recipe, visit my Recipage!