I love ice cream. I do. That’s why I invested in the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid. Totally worth the splurge!!! What’s best than making your own ice cream!!! Of course it’s good to know a few basic recipes, indeed I did try a few things of my own that didn’t turned out so great… But once you figured what works, it is so easy!
Like everything home made, you can customize to the infinity, and that’s what I love best! Usually I start with a recipe found elsewhere and while preparing, always end up changing most of it… That’s when the note pad comes handy!
I have been craving for something with Nutella and found this great recipe from Giada. I started with that, added my own twist, and then remembered that I had some left over brownies in the freezer… Do I need to explain? Or should I tickle your mind with 2 words: Ben & Jerry‘s. Yes, I did it, put my brownie in the Nutella base, and it was the best decision ever this past weekend!
The other great event of the weekend was the neighbors BBQ party that we hosted at our house on Saturday. My neighbors are great, we all get along, we all love food and drinks!!! And one of them, who had already mentioned how my backyard has that perfect incline down to the patio, where he could clamp a projector screen, suggested we watch a movie outdoor! Luckily they are equipped! 2 of them came back with laptop, projector, screen and sound system, and in no time, we were watching a movie lying on my lawn covered with blankets!!! That was so cool!!! Of course, distribute a luscious Nutella brownie ice cream to the audience, and it is picture perfect!!!
Fun times, I tell you, thank you guys again for that great night!!! Spontaneity works wonder…. Just like throwing brownies into ice cream 😉
Too bad, I don’t have a better picture, but just to give you an idea of the movie set up…
Ingredients (about 5 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t coffee extract
- 3/4 cup Nutella + more for swirling
- chocolate brownie, frozen
- In a saucepan combine the milk, cream, vanilla and coffee and Nutella over medium heat. Cook until the Nutella dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the sugar and cocoa using an electric mixer until the eggs have become thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool until liquid is a room temperature, then refrigerate. Once completely cold, pour in an ice cream maker and follow instructions.
- When ice cream has been churned, add more Nutella with a knife, leaving visible swirls, and the brownie, cup in little pieces. Stir slightly, pour in a container, cover and freeze for another 2 hours before serving.
Find the easy to print, share and e-mail recipe on my Recipage.
You may also like:
Updates post publishing:
Aug 30th, 2012: This post was featured, as one of the top 3 sweetest treat on the Sweet Treat Link Party on the blog: Something Swanky, and in the top 4 favorites of Showcase your Talent on the blog: What’s Cooking Love. Thank you for your support!!!
Feb 5th 2013, this recipe was feature on the World Nutella Day website!!!